Can not open pipe problem

mike neuliep mike at marauder.illiana.net
Mon Apr 19 17:57:44 CEST 2004

Hello fellow Nagios users!

I am suffering from the infamous "Cannot open pipe: /bin/ping -n -c 5 hostname"
problem.  I know this question has been asked many times, but I've never seen
anyone answer this properly.  I've increased my resources in the bash shell to
the max, but that doesn't seem to be enough.  What will happen is about 20 or
so services will get this error in a row.  I'm monitoring about 500 hosts and
650 services which I'm sure nagios can handle.  The server that is runs on is
definately overkill for the app and I'm not running into performance issues with
the hardware.  Could I have perhaps run into a limit of the shell which nagios
operates  within?

	Mike Neuliep
	Network Engineer