Trouble starting nagios

Frode Lillerud frode at lillerud.no
Sun Apr 18 02:03:10 CEST 2004

Hi, I've installed the nagios-mysql package on a debian linux system.

I've gone through all the config files in /etc/nagios, and read through
the documentation on the nagios site.

When I run 'nagios -v /etc/nagios/nagios.cfg' I get 5 errors.
It complains about there being no services, hosts, host groups, contacts
or contac groups defined. I've set up the different .cfg files, and I
think they should be pretty much correct. To me it seems like the
'cfg_file=/etc/nagios/contactgroups.cfg' etc lines in nagios.cfg are not
parsed. I've tried to a some define {.}-blocks in nagios.cfg, but that
results in a "Error in configuration file", but at least I know nagios
is parsing the correct nagios.cfg file. I have also tried to chmod 777
*.cfg, but no difference.

No log files are written, so there is not much info to work with.

Is there any way to find out which part of the nagios.cfg file that
contains the problem? Why are the definitions in the other .cfg files
not read?

Thanks
Frode, Norway