SMTP problem?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Sat Apr 17 23:28:01 CEST 2004

Francesco De Santolo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering, why does nagios states that SMTP is down when it is
> online and working if you do the command "telnet ip 25" ?

Because it doesn't get the RFC compliant response. Any program can
listen to port 25, but if it doesn't respond properly to HELO,
check_smtp reports errors since it concludes something else than a
normally functioning smtp server listens to the port. This is most
likely some MS Exchange server thingie. They often refuse to follow any
standard at all, but it can also be a smtp-server configuration issue
(pop-before-smtp and such).

--
Mvh / Best Regards
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson