Service checks much delayed

Chris Wilson chris at netservers.co.uk
Thu Apr 15 15:17:39 CEST 2004

Hi all,

We've been using Netsaint/Nagios for about two years now, and are
currently running version 1.0. We have 70 hosts and 131 services
monitored.

I've noticed that as the number of services and hosts has increased, the
interval between active service checks has also increases. We are
configured to run normal service checks at 5x60 second intervals:

	define service {
	        name                            generic-service
	        active_checks_enabled           1
	        parallelize_check               1
	        normal_check_interval           5
	}

	interval_length=60

	(all other services descend from generic-service).

However, typically many services have not been checked in the last 90
minutes. I don't understand why this should be the case. The system load
is not high (0.00), nagios typically only has one process running, and
parallelization is enabled:

	max_concurrent_checks=0
	service_reaper_frequency=10
	inter_check_delay_method=s
	use_agressive_host_checking=0

I'm about to enable processing of performance data, but can anyone help me
to understand what's wrong here, or tell me where to look?

Cheers, Chris.
--
 / __/ / ,__(_)_  | Chris Wilson -- UNIX Firewall Lead Developer |