file name format of log archives

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Thu Apr 15 11:42:50 CEST 2004

Greg Vickers writes:

> We've got a couple of years of logs now and the default format of
> nagios-mm-dd-yyyy-00.log is pretty yukky :)

That's one way of looking at it.  However, mm dd yyyy is the standard US
date format.  Unless you're in the US military, where it's dd mm yyyy,
as in the UK and Australia (and other places).

Partly because of these differences and ambiguities, ISO came up with
yyyy mm dd.  It has the advantage that it can be sorted with a simple
ASCII sort, which is not possible with the other two formats.  Which is
why many programs that create datestamped filenames use ISO format for the
datestamp.

A change sounds good to me.

--
Paul Allen