Service freshness upon startup after Nagios 'off' time?

Mueller, Karl KMueller at netsuite.com
Thu Apr 15 02:11:31 CEST 2004

Has anybody experienced problems in a distributed Nagios environment
where a lot of services are stale (and produce an active check) after
Nagios was turned off for a while?  This is not a good thing if you have
a large number of services that master server might potentially have to
actively check after it was off for an hour or so.

Is there any way to tell Nagios to restart the freshness 'clock' when it
starts up?  I want to know if the service is relatively fresh (i.e.
versus time Nagios is 'on'), not "absolutely" fresh - the actual time
Nagios has recorded for it.

Or, if people have fixed this in some other way, I'd love to hear about
it.  I would rather not blow away the Nagios state file.

Karl