MySQL Question

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Apr 14 16:45:21 CEST 2004

________________________________

From: Marcel Sauder [mailto:msauder at siconline.ch]
Sent: Wednesday, April 14, 2004 1:25 AM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [Nagios-users] MySQL Question

hi folks,

i'am new here in the maillist and i have some questions.....

we are running FreeBSD since 1996 and we change from netsaint to nagios
recently. in our ISP environment we have to monitor about 500-600
devices and it works fine. if we want to see some historical datas the
system perform soooo slow because the log files grew very fast. file
rotation has many disadvantages so we would like to change to mysql
support.

now, for my understanding i would like to know if we write all loggin
informations into mysql, ist it possible that all status and hirarchial
datas can be accessed by nagios from this db? or do i still need any
flat files?

Nagios does not maintain historical data in the database, only current
data. To have Nagios store the information is doable through a number of
methods but getting the CGI's to utilize that information would require
a re-write of the affected programs. If your logs are getting big, have
you reduced the type of information you are logging? Even with a
somewhat volatile network of 2000+ devices, my log files are rarely over
1.2 megs each (daily rotation).

--
Marc