Scripting downtime

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Apr 13 18:56:03 CEST 2004

Jason Martin <mailto:jhmartin at toger.us> wrote:

> I have a situation where I need to script arbitrarily-long downtime
> and am not quite sre how to approach it.  I have an application that
> spans several machines.  Every night a script is lauched by someone
> that shuts down the application, and some hours later anothe script
> is executed to start it back up again. The customer would like alarms
> squelched during thd downtime, but re-enabled as soon as the
> application is back up. The downtime is different every night
> depending on what sort of mainenance is being performed.  For that
> reason the simple solution of making the notification / check periods
> exclude the maintenance window won't work. Scheduling downtime
> doesn't work very well either since the script that brings the
> application down won't know how long it will be down.
>
> I could modify the app-specific plugins to look for a 'flag-file'
> touched by the shutdown script and removed by the startup script and
> always return OK if they see it, but that feels like a hack-ish
> solution.
>
> I also can't disable all checks / notifications as this Nagios
> instance is monitoring several applications with disparate
> maintenance windows.
>
> Has anyone had experience with such a situation?

Why not have the shutdown script submit the DISABLE_SVC_NOTIFICATIONS
external command to Nagios and the startup script submit the
ENABLE_SVC_NOTIFICATIONS external command? Seems like a very
straightforward, service specific and workable solution, especially as
you seem to indicate that those scripts have access to your nagios hosts
file system (if it's NFS it probably won't work).

--
Marc