error on writing to postgres

Nancy Bronstein nan at simons-rock.edu
Tue Apr 13 18:20:43 CEST 2004

Andreas,
Thanks for the input. I forgot to mention that I wrote a php script that
checked to see if it could write to the nagios database as the nagios
username and it was able to, also:
On Tue, 2004-04-13 at 09:26, Andreas Ericsson wrote:
> Nancy Bronstein wrote:
> > I have installed nagios 1.2 on a server running debian with a 2.4.25
> > kernel. I did not use the debian package, I downloaded the source and I
> > compiled in all of the suppport for postgresql (that is described in the
> > nagios documentation) and I have granted all permissions to the nagios
> > username I'm using and that user owns all of the tables and yet I still
> > get this error on starting nagios:
> >
> > Error: Could not insert/update status record for program in table
> > 'programstatus' of database 'nagios'
> >
> > Any ideas on where I've gone astray will be much appreciated.
>
> Things to check;
> Is pgsql running?
--yes is running since I can write to the database via php function
pg_connect
> Does the database exist?
--same as above
> Is the tablestructure exactly as it's supposed to be?
--I used the script supplied with the program
> Is the nagios configuration correct?
--I thought it was
> Are there any messages in the pgsql logfiles?
--no
> Is nagios trying to connect through local or via networking socket?
--local
> If networking, do you have any tcpwrappers enabled
--no
> If so, are there any messages in its logfiles?
> Can you browse around in the database with the username and password
> that nagios uses, from the host nagios runs on, as the user nagios runs
> as (unix user, not pgsql)?
--yes and write to it
> Have you made any typos?
--I can't find any