Parallelization Problems

Jonathan A. Zdziarski jonathan at nuclearelephant.com
Mon Apr 12 18:51:01 CEST 2004

Greetings,

After about an hour of some people trying to help me on freenode, I'm
still experiencing a very awkward problem where nagios will start up
with a hundred or so check_pings, but will quickly die out to only 1
ping at a time; it doesn't look like nagios ever parallelizes requests
after an initial attempt.  I'm left with several nagios -d processes
running, and only one check_ping running at a time.

We're monitoring about 1600 hosts, and after running nagios for about an
hour, I've still got 1575 in pending status.  I started out with an
initially default config, but at the recommendation of the folks in IRC,
I've made a few changes:

service_interleave_factor=10
max_concurrent_checks=165
interval_length=60
command_check_interval=15s

There isn't anything in the logs about commands failing, or any errors.
I'm completely stumped at this point as to why nagios isn't monitoring
in parallel.  I'd be willing to provide any information necessary to get
some help.

Thanks in advance,
Jonathan