Increase the efficiency of passive checks

Andrew_Hoying at blm.gov Andrew_Hoying at blm.gov
Fri Apr 9 20:28:38 CEST 2004

Hello,

I'm currently running a Nagios server which is processing a little over
2000 passive checks every 10 minutes. I know the server has the memory and
processing power to handle that many checks in half that time, however the
bottle neck seems to be the size of the named pipe file and the speed at
which it is read. I have Nagios set to check the file every second, which
works fine, and it processes around 5 passive checks a second, however the
server Nagios is running on is still only using around 4% of it's
processing power and it's disk access is nominal. What can I do to increase
the size of the named pipe, or move to shared memory, a Unix socket, or
some other method of accepting passive checks that would speed it up
without significantly rewriting Nagios? Does anyone have a patch for 1.2
that would solve this problem? Is 2.0 significantly better in this regard?

Thank you,
Andrew