Check_HTTP

Olaf Hoyer ohoyer at ohoyer.de
Fri Apr 9 13:08:40 CEST 2004

On Thu, 8 Apr 2004, Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Thomas Quinlan wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > I have a webserver, serving a page called "page.do"
> > out of /directory/, and on that page is a string
> > called "string".
> >
> > When I execute the following on the command line:
> >
> > /usr/nagios/libexec/check_http -w 5 -c 10 -u
> > /directory/page.do -s string
> >
> > it works perfectly, as expected.  If I change "string"
> > to "somethingelse", I get an error, as expected.
> >
> > When I add this to a service for a hostgroup in
> > Nagios:
> >
> > check_http!-w 5!-c 10!-u /directory/page.do!-s string
> >
> > It tells me that the page is up.  However, if I change
> > "string" to "somethingelse", it still tells me that it
> > is up.

There is also the woe of perhaps having some special characters in
"something", like "!" or so, in that case you would have to quote it
accordingly to avoid interpretation as separation mark by nagios.

(Yes, some cool http-admins once hardcoded a string like: a2B5!xyz as
checksum on the page, I had some hard time telling an netsaint 0.07 to
get that right)

HTH
Olaf

Olaf Hoyer        ohoyer at gaff.hhhr.ision.net
Fuerchterliche Erlebniss geben zu raten,
ob der, welcher sie erlebt, nicht etwas Fuerchterliches ist.
(Nietzsche, Jenseits von Gut und Boese)