NRPE on IA64-linux

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Apr 8 22:57:05 CEST 2004

Taiji Otsuki wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there anyone who has experienced successfuly installed nrpe daemon
> in IA64-Linux(Itanium2) ? The OS is Redhat Enterprise Linux AS3.0.
> After I complied and installed the nrpe daemon first with
> --enable-commands-args option, I started  nrpe daemon like below.
> -------------------------------------
>  ./configure --enable-commands-args
>  make all
>  /etc/rc.d/init.d/nrpe start
> -------------------------------------
> The nagios server(IA32-Linux:RHL8.0) and nrpe client(IA64-Linux)
> keep connection and looks fine.
>

> However, lot's of same messages appeared in the IA-64's
> /var/log/messages,
>  kernel : IA32 syscall #252 issued, maybe we should implement it.

Syscall #252 is the asm function exit_group (which is undocumented but
called when a process group leader is created or exits).
To get around this, you either need to update your kernel to one that
better supports the 64-bit architecture (2.6.x is working hard on this)
  or modify nrpe to utilize pthread_create() instead of fork().

If you want to check the kernel for syscalls, you can have a look at
/usr/include/asm/unistd.h, or do 'man syscalls' (neither is very
informative).

If you go with the latter solution, you will need the posix-threads
library (-lpthread), which should be included by default with any linux
distro worth mentioning. NRPE is actually pretty nicely suited to do
this (since it handles everything in handle_connection(), as opposed to
serializing a bunch of function calls).

> when I stopped nrpe daemon, above messages disappeared.
>
> Normally, it is said IA-64 system needs IA-32 Execution Layer
> or something emulation software to run IA-32 application.
> How can I run NRPE daemon propperly in the IA64-Linux?
> Are there any compiling option or patches available?

Tha IA-32 execution layer for Linux doesn't seem to be about any time
soon, according to this.
http://www.gelato.unsw.edu.au/linux-ia64/0309/6649.html

--
Mvh / Best Regards