hosts.cfg and ping question

Julie Catellier julie.catellier at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Apr 8 15:49:11 CEST 2004

Ok, what makes me think that it is not working?  When I bring up
one of the status windows, i.e. 'Host Detail', the smtp servers
show 'PING OK..'. When I select an smtp server, 'Host Checks' and
'Host Notifications' are enabled.  The other servers show '(Host
assumed to be up)' and the 'Host Checks' and 'Host Notifications'
are disabled.  I looked at the retention values in Nagios.cfg.  The
retention_update_interval=60 and use_retained_program_state=0.  I
have also restarted nagios mulitple times.
Can you see something that I am missing from this description?

--On Wednesday, April 07, 2004 3:20 PM -0500 Marc Powell
<marc at ena.com> wrote:

> Julie Catellier <mailto:julie.catellier at vanderbilt.edu> wrote:
>> When I first set up Nagios, I was able to set the check_command
>> to check-host-alive and everything worked well.  Now, the
>> initial hosts that I set up in hosts.cfg automatically ping for
>> the host without any entry in the 'check-command' and I am not
>> able to
>> check-host-alive in any new host entries.  Is there any entry
>> that overrides the hosts.cfg configuration?  Below is an
>> example.  The
>
> Possibly state retention but I don't believe that the
> check_command is ignored with state retention enabled. I know
> I've seen specific documentation that tells exactly what is
> important wrt retention but I haven't been able to locate it on
> short notice.
>
>> imap1 entry does not check-host-alive.  The smtp3 entry
>> automatically pings the host.  I also double checked that
>> check-host-alive does work for these hosts from the command
>> line.
>> Any Ideas?
>>
>> # 'smtp3' host definition
>> define host{
>>         use                     its-host                ; Name of
>> host template to use
>>         host_name               smtp3.x.x.x
>>         alias                   VUmail: Mail Transport server
>>         address                 xx.xx.xx.xx
>>         }
>> # 'imap1' host definition
>> define host{
>>         use                     its-host                ; Name of
>> host template to use
>>         host_name               imap1.x.x.x
>>         alias                   VUmail: Personal mailbox server
>>         address                 xx.xx.xx.xx
>>         check_command           check-host-alive
>>         notification_interval   120
>>         notification_period     24x7
>>         max_check_attempts      10
>>         }
>
> I'm going to bet that your its-host template contains the
> check_command of check-host-alive and that's why smtp3 works
> (it's inherited). For imap1, since you are using the same
> template it should also inherit the check_command defined in
> its-host, _however_ the fact that you've defined a check_command
> within the host definition itself overrides any previously
> inherited definitions. What is the exact error that you're seeing
> for this host that makes you think it's not working?
>
> --
> Marc

Julie Catellier
Vanderbilt University
Information Technology Services
Email: julie.catellier at Vanderbilt.Edu
Phone: 615-343-1622