SNMP on AIX 4.x

Raymond Page pagerc at ufl.edu
Wed Apr 7 18:07:03 CEST 2004

Hey everyone,

I've been trying to get net-snmp to run on AIX 4.3 and have had a
hell of a time with it.  With some ucdavis mib addons included in
the latest version of net-snmp, it should allow for memory, cpu,
fs, and network checks via snmp.  There's several dependency
problems however with installing net-snmp on AIX 4.3 and my
coworker and I have yet to work out all of the dependency issues,
so be forewarned in regards to installing net-snmp on AIX 4.X.

Quick note in regards to fs checks.  I'm not sure if the nagios
check provides a way to check a table, but it is easiest to
accurately monitor filesystems in error in the tree by walking the
error string table, and if there's a string in any slot of the
table, grab that, and any others, and return those as filesystems
in error.