beginners problem

XeloQ Communications tjapko at xeloq.com
Tue Apr 6 17:03:21 CEST 2004

Hello list,

I recently installed nagios on RH9 and implemented all my checks etc
according the manuals and the reame's and the help files. (:-))

Everything is running fine but I have a strange issue that I can't
address:

Whenever a service is failing because a host is down nagios will take
the proper action and inform me about the event.

Whenever the host is back on line the service will show up OK (green)
but the HOST remains in the DOWN state (red).

My questions is WHY the HOST STATE INFORMATION does not change back to
GREEN or UP when the host physically has been UP again.

If I restart nagios than the HOST state will change again to up. It must
be something I overlooked.

My host.cfg file looks like this:
# 'SoftSwitch01' host definition
define host{
	use			generic-host		; Name of host template to use

	host_name		SoftSwitch01
	alias			SS
	address			200.200.200.200
	check_command		check-host-alive
	max_check_attempts	10
	notification_interval	120
	notification_period	24x7
	notification_options	d,u,r
	}

My services.cfg looks like this:
# Service definition
define service{
	use				generic-service		; Name of service template to use

	host_name			SoftSwitch
	service_description		PING
	is_volatile			0
	check_period			24x7
	max_check_attempts		3
	normal_check_interval		3
	retry_check_interval		1
	contact_groups			admins
	notification_interval		120
	notification_period		24x7
	notification_options		w,u,c,r
	check_command			check-host-alive
}

Rhe check-host command is the one provided with the example.

# This command checks to see if a host is "alive" by pinging it
# The check must result in a 100% packet loss or 5 second (5000ms) round
trip
# average time to produce a critical error.
# Note: Only one ICMP echo packet is sent (determined by the '-p 1'
argument)

# 'check-host-alive' command definition
define command{
        command_name    check-host-alive
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w
3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -p 1
        }

Tjapko.