larg(ish) number of devices

Ron Huff rwhuff at charter.net
Mon Apr 5 20:12:58 CEST 2004

I need some help tuning my configuration (my assumption).

I'm using nagios 1.1 and plugins 1.3.1

I've been testing with ~ 130 devices (routers/switches)

I recently configured the whole network (~1500 routers/switches)

All I have configured is the 'normal' hostup-ping in the host file
and a cpu check on all machines.  When I start nagios, I end up with
some large-varying number of nagios processes running all the time...

my service checks are run every 5 minutes...
After the system settles down...most everything is checking all right,
I still have roughly 20-50 nagios processes running all the time...
and
My nagios server (a large Dell blade w/2 2.xMhz processors and tons of
memory)...shows 4 (virtual) CPU's running at 70-95 % all the time (top).
Top also shows me several snmpget's running (varying of course) along
with check_cpu ...but the number of processes showing in top is expected
and not excessive at all...the nagios process doesn't show up as a
cpu hog at all...

NOTE: I set up the services file with entries by host_name instead of
host_group, simply because this is much easier to generate
programmatically ...is this a potential problem for some reason??!?

I would appreciate some help here...pointer to some docs that deal with
my likely config problem...?!?

Thanks,
Ron Huff