Nagios 1.2 Escalation Issues

Scott scott at netspace.net.au
Mon Apr 5 03:28:25 CEST 2004

Hi guys, I have done a search and nothing seems to be showing up.

I have recently installed a new, fresh, clean copy of Nagios on a
FreeBSD installation (mmmm, BSD :)). Anyway I moved from a Cobalt RAQ4
unit (Redhat). I have configured all the plugins to match the new os
and have adjusted all cfg files.. I have not however changed any of the
host/service configuration files. My problem lies in the fact that now,
escalations are being eratic. I'll try to explain.

I have every host and service set up as follows

<snippet host/service cfg>
define host{
         host_name               smog.office
         alias                   smog.office
         address                 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
         check_command           check-host-alive
         max_check_attempts      10
         notification_interval   40
         notification_period     24x7
         notification_options    d,r
         parents                 switch1-b1-cr.melbourne
         }

define service{
         host_name                       smog.office
         service_description             DISK_ROOT
         is_volatile                     0
         check_period                    24x7
         max_check_attempts              5
         normal_check_interval           3
         retry_check_interval            3
         contact_groups                  office-admins
         notification_interval           60
         notification_period             24x7
         notification_options            c,r
         check_command                   check_nrpe!check_root
         }
</snippet>

<snippet escalations.cfg>

define serviceescalation{
         host_name               *
         service_description     *
         first_notification      2
         last_notification       3
         notification_interval   0
         contact_groups          system-admins
         }
</snippet>

As from the way it is set up, this is the path that should be taken
(exluding any other config options external to these files)

Every 3 minutes this host is checked, on a state change, it checks
again every three minutes until a total state change count has reached
5. At this point, the office-admins are notified (this part works). The
notification_interval is set to 60 so in 60 minutes it is escalated as
stated by the escalation.cfg file. This works, all the system-admins
are notified and all is well.. The problem is that EVERY service is set
up this way and was always working on the Redhat machine but now I find
that the first_notification, last_notification is not working correctly
and I sometimes get 3 pages (which is 1 too many) or I get a page every
60 minutes forever. I used to get 1 page for the office-admins and then
the escalation 60 minutes later for the system-admins (I am in both
groups) then it would stop.

Wondering if anybody else has experienced anything like this with 1.2
or its a config issue I am not seeing here.

PS I was running 1.06b on the Redhat machine.

I hope this makes sense to somebody other than myself.

---
Scott Horsley