Problem Getting the APAN Link to Appear in Nag ios

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Fri Apr 2 23:25:13 CEST 2004

Jeff --

I tried the new syntax, and that did work. BTW -- The password I specified was
the default password
that came with apan, I've long since changed it ;-). Now that we know the nagios
user can connect to
the database, where do I go from here?

-----Original Message-----
From: jeff vier [mailto:jeff.vier at tradingtechnologies.com]
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2004 4:21 PM
To: Kaplan, Andrew H.
Cc: Nagios-Users (E-mail)
Subject: RE: [Nagios-users] Problem Getting the APAN Link to Appear in
Nag ios

On Fri, 2004-04-02 at 14:59, Kaplan, Andrew H. wrote:
> When I ran the command you mentioned: /usr/bin/mysql -u nagios -p apa123 -D

(you probably shouldn't email hundreds of people your db password :))

> nagios, I first got an 1049 error
> that stated the apa123 database was unknown.

Well, THAT is weird.  the -p is the password.

>  When I ran the same command minus
> the -p option, I got the 1045
> error saying access was denied. Finally I ran the command with only the -D
> option and I got the 1045 error again.

well, you have to have the -p, most likely (if not, that's bad in
itself!)

Is your MySQL database running on that same server, then?  If not, add a
'-h <hostname-or-IP>'.

I know it doesn't make a difference, but what the heck - try running it
without spaces after the option flags.  So, '/usr/bin/mysql -unagios
-papa123 -Dnagios'

> I did a check through Webmin on the nagios sql user and I confirmed the user
has
> access from the localhost and has
> all permissions. I chose localhost when I set the permissions up initially due
> to the fact that was the only way I
> could get the apanconf-sql utility to be able to write to the database. What
> next?

Well, this is apparently either an sql.conf issue, or an issue with your
MySQL db itself.

other things to try:  open up permissions for the nagios user in MySQL
(let the user connect from all hosts).  Maybe somehow it's being seen
from its primary interface instead of "localhost" (if that's even
possible).
Also - you wouldn't happen to be running MySQL on a non-standard port,
would you?