Status Information (No output)! on all servicechecks

Clint Sulis clint at misinc.net
Fri Apr 2 20:21:17 CEST 2004

On Friday, April 2, 2004, at 09:35 AM, Mandy Hargis wrote:

>> I recently installed Nagios 1.2 with Nagios plugins 1.3.1 on Solaris
>> 9.  I have been running Nagios 1.0b6 for over a year and monitoring
>> around 700 hosts and 1100 services so I copied my old
>> /usr/local/nagios/etc directory which also contains all of my *.cfg
>> files.  The web interface shows all of the hosts 'UP' but all of my
>> service check  "Status Information"s are showing as (No output!).
>> All *.cfg files worked perfectly with Nagios 1.0b6 so I am omitting
>> the definitions in this posting because of that.
>>
>> I can run all the check_ commands via command line with success and
>> single line output.  The status.log shows only more of the same (No
>> output!) and I cannot see any other problems in the logs or
>> /var/adm/messages file.  I checked the FAQs and mailing lists without
>> success.

I had a similar problem while setting up nagios, and I resolved the
issue by putting the full path to each check command in the
checkcommands.cfg file instead of relying on the $USER1$ variable
definition, which was not working for some reason.

For example, the original check_ping definition looked something like
this:

# 'check_ping' command definition
define command {
         command_name    check_ping
         command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$
-c $ARG2$ -p 5
}

I modified it to look like this, restarted the nagios service, and the
check started working.

# 'check_ping' command definition
define command {
         command_name    check_ping
         command_line    /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H
$HOSTADDRESS$ -w $ARG1$ -c $ARG2$ -p 5
}

Hope this helps you out!

Clint Sulis