Compiling nagios with libgd under Redhat 9

Mark Arnold msalists at gmx.net
Tue Sep 30 03:29:55 CEST 2003

I found some related articles in the archive, but none of them really had a solution... Did anybody find one in the meantime?

I am trying to compile Nagios 1.1 with libgd support but Nagios claims it can't find the libraries.
I'm running a RedHat 9 installation with libgd, lib-png and lib-jpeg pre-installed in /usr/lib
Part of the reason why Nagios can not find the gd-libraries is (I think) that the include files are missing.
So I installed lib-png and lib-jpeg from scratch (compiled from source) into /usr/local/libpng and /usr/local/libjpeg
The 2 directories each have a lib and a src subdirectory with the respective files in there.
Then I compiled the libgd from the source ditstribution into /usr/local/lib-gd, now also with a lib and inc subdirectory.
During compilation, libgd says that it found the png and jpeg libraries and that it has png and jpeg support enabled.
Then I add all 3 lib subdirectories into /etc/ld.so.conf and run ldconfig.
Running "ldconfig -v" shows all the libraries in all the 3 newly compiled lib directories as expected.
Then I go back to the nagios source tree, type "make clean" and rerun the configure command with the appropriate --with-gd-lib
and --with-gd-inc parameter, but it still says it can't find the library.
I use --with-gd-lib=/usr/local/lib-gd/lib and it says /usr/local/lib-gd/lib does not exist.
The directory DOES exist, and the directory and all the files are accessable for all users - but Nagios insists it can't find it.
Is there anything I am missing?

Thanks,

MARK