Monitoring virtual web sites

Mark Arnold msalists at gmx.net
Sat Sep 27 02:38:52 CEST 2003

Since (for the outside world) they really are independent sites (at least logically), and different circumstances can cause only one
of them to break but not the others, I would say you should setup a new Nagios host for each virtual host.
Then setup a Nagios hostgroup called "virtual_web_hosts" (or whatever you want to name it), and setup an http_check service for this
group - so you dont have to do it for each of the hosts.
In addition, you can express the dependency of the server that physically hosts the virtual host by making the physical server's
host record the parent of each virtual host's host record.

I haven't done this myself (yet) but I think this is the logical way of doing it and I will probably go this way soon - unless this
solution causes a configuration problem I am not aware of at the moment...

MARK