Monitoring R/3 SAP

Schimpke, Dr. Thomas / bhn Schimpke at Lenze.de
Fri Sep 26 17:08:55 CEST 2003

Hi Ned,

I looked into the SAP plugins for nagios today. As far as I can see, at
least check_sap works as one would expect. So, in principle, it should be
possible to read out any value of the the whole CCMS tree (if one knows the
name of the MTE). It's not so nice, that you have to use a special nagios
version -- but the additional functionality could be worth it: at least
there is the chance, that you manage the all SAP Systems/CCMS from one
place. I haven't found the appropriate nagios version yet -- I'll take a
closer look on Monday. If everything fails, I'll go ahead and patch the
plugins -- the important point (in my opinion) of monitoring is the
notification in case of an alert, not "click here and change values
somewhere"...But as I said: it's a nice feature

We are reunning SAP 4.6c on HP/UX 11.11 with an Orcale Database (fairly
standard). I'll go ahead and set up the solution manager/web application
server as a central monitoring instance next week. So it's possible to get
the alerts from all systems by simply querying the CCMS on the Web
application server.

A while ago, we've decided to monitor the following (the list is not at hand
-- sorry -- but it was very short, anyway):

- tablespaces (no more extentts...)
- aborted jobs (you'll need only a small fraction of all jobs...but it
seems, that a couple of jobs is really important)
- mean dialog response time
- There are some slog messages, that also need to be monitored
(Sorry...cannot remember the Codes...)
- If you haven't already done it: you'll have to monitor the filesystem
space at least of the
  saparch filesystem ! No space left on device -> SAP halted !

Bye

Thomas