Dropping mysql suport from an instalation

Mark Arnold msalists at gmx.net
Thu Sep 25 19:25:20 CEST 2003

Sorry, no advice but rather a question:
Why do you want to switch "back" to rather "unintelligent" files instead of having a high-level data storage like a database? Did
you encounter any problems with storing the data in the database?

I am planning to set up Nagios for our network within the next weeks ( if time permits :( ) and I am planning on using database
support rather than just flat files. It seems that there are many advantages to a database:
- better performance
- better scalability
- easier to use the data independently from nagios in you own scripts if necessary (just some SQL-queries rather than having to
write a full parser)

The only reason I could think of that could be held against going the database way is that using the file system might seem a little
more stable since you have less components that might cause problems compared to the db-way (here you have the sockets, db server
process, maybe even networking issues if the db is on a remote host). But I think as long as you keep nagios and the db on the same
physical server so that network problems will not be an issue, you should be really safe. We have been working with mysql for years
and never had one single problem that was really caused by the database system itself as far as I remember. If we had problems at
all, it was in a remote db-server environment caused by networking issues (DNS changes, network down, firewall, etc) or the harddisk
crashing - but that will kill you anyway, no matter what route you go...

So without having practical nagios experience yet, I would say keep the db - move it to the same server you are running the nagios
process on if it is not there yet).

MARK