(no subject)

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Thu Sep 25 18:12:46 CEST 2003

The host is still up because, as you said, you didn't define a host check command for it. Since nagios has no active test defined to see if a host is up, the state will never change. The hosts are 'assumed to be up' initially because if the very first check of any service on that host is OK then the host is assumed to be OK. It's only when a service on that host changes state (i.e. goes CRITICAL), only then is the host actively checked with the command specified (or not in your case).

In short, you _must_ define a host check command if you expect your host states to be accurately reflected.

--
Marc