Stupid check_http Question

Matt Pounsett matt.pounsett at cira.ca
Wed Sep 24 17:20:04 CEST 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Joe Morris wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Sep 2003, Frank Tanner III wrote:
>
> | I am checking a site, with Basic authentication.  I
> | have a user and password specifically set up using
> | htpasswd, and have this user added to the appripriate
> | group file for the site.
> |
> | When I issue the ./check_http -I 10.1.1.5 -a
> | nagios:nagios command I get HTTP WARNING: HTTP/1.1 403
> | Forbidden.
> |
> | Why am I getting this instead of the happy little
> | green light?
>
> You're getting a "403 Forbidden" error from the web server.  The
> check_http program considers this a warning (as it should).  Sounds like
> your authentication is getting through (otherwise it would be a 401
> error), but hitting some other access violation with your web
> configuration.  You need a "200 OK" response for it to go green.

The 403 Forbidden is the same error you'd get if authentication failed as
well.  401 is only given if the resource can't be found.

Frank,

If you're sure that you have the correct HTTP user and password, check your
web server log files for some indication of why access is being denied.  It
could be due to source IP limitations, permissions of the filesystem.. all
sorts of things.

--
Matt Pounsett                 CIRA - Canadian Internet Registration Authority
Technical Support Programmer                    350 Sparks Street, Suite 1110