Services per hostgroups

Mark Arnold msalists at gmx.net
Tue Sep 23 01:35:34 CEST 2003

Hi,

I just installed Nagios for the first ime and I am impressed!

But I am missing one thing:
A service can be defined per host - the sample file shows about 20 or even more different hosts (servers, printers, routers, etc).
Now for each of these hosts, there is the same ping service defined over and over again...
This seems like a huge pain to maintain... Even if it is possible to use only one with a list of hostnames like

    hostname linux_box1,linuxbox2

(I dont know if this works or not) it would still be rather complex to maintain this for a big number of servers.

Isn't it possible to use hostgroups instead? What else are the hostgroups for, if not for this?
So there would be one ping service setup for

    hostgroup all_nodes

and a hostgroup "all_nodes" would be configured accordingly. SMTP and POP could be configured for "all_mailservers", etc...

I tried to just use a hostgroup name instead of the hostname, but Nagios didn't like that, it said the groupname was not a valid
host name...

Is there anything like this already there that I don't know of?

Thanks,

MARK