process numbers

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Thu Sep 18 23:34:08 CEST 2003

There could be a lot of reasons for this. For specifics we'd need to
know more about your setup (i.e. OS, nagios version, how many hosts and
services, types of checks you are doing, using a DB backend, etc).

More generally, nagios is designed to spawn multiple checks at any given
time. This is controlled by the max_concurrent_checks setting in
nagios.cfg. If you have a lot of slow-to-complete checks, nagios won't
wait for them to terminate before spawning additional checks. You can
control how long nagios will wait before terminating a check command
with the *_check_timeout variables. Lowering your
service_reaper_frequency will likely help too. Running 'nagios -s
<path/to/nagios.cfg> can provide a guideline for max_concurrent_checks
based on your other settings and number of hosts and services you are
monitoring.

You could always use strace (linux) or truss (solaris) to actively look
at one of the long-standing processes and see exactly what it's doing.

--
Marc