With NSCA what check_command do you use?

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Wed Sep 17 15:37:35 CEST 2003

From: Shaun Reitan :: NDC Host [mailto:Shaun.Reitan at NDCHost.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 16, 2003 11:58 PM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net

ok, i got NSCA working but i'm confused what check_command to use.  Since NSCA works by receiving results via externals i really dont need a check_command on the nagios monitor but it wont let me not have one.  I setup libexec/check_dummy in it's place but that gives unaccurate results becasue nagios still runs that check_command and it's returning OK and overwriting the info it received via externals.

At the moment i'm wondering if i should use NRPE or whatever but i hate the idea of having this server on every server. NSCA doesnt seam like it was well thoughout.

---

NSCA was design to be used in a distributed Nagios environment where you have multiple Nagios servers in multiple locations all reporting the results of their checks back to one or more other Nagios servers for display, archiving, etc. Because of this, the host_name and service_description for a submitted check result must match a service definition on the central server. I don't think that the actual check_command matters. In your case, it sounds like you haven't disabled active checks for the specific services that you are submitting results for. The cleanest way in my experience is to set the check_period to 'none' for each service you are submitting passive results for. An alternate way is to set active_checks_enabled to 0 (but I believe you'll see a red 'P' for each service set like this. This is done of course on the central Nagios machine. You'll still need a check_command definition but it will never get executed.

NRPE is designed to work with an active central Nagios server to execute plugins on remote machines running the NRPE daemon with the specific nagios plugins you are interested in. You can think of it as a proxy for the check_command. A full installation of nagios isn't necessary on each machine you want to monitor local resources on, only those plugins you are interested in.

--
Marc