CGI permissions make me mad!

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Wed Sep 17 01:37:45 CEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-09-16 at 17:11, Rick_Blair at fws.gov wrote:
> I have set up a new test server and made the permissions as wide open
> as possible.  I still get a cgi error:
>  "It appears as though you do not have permission to view information
>                 for any of the hosts you requested..."
>
> 1. All cgi files in /usr/local/nagios/lib/cgi are 0755 owned by
> nagios:apache.
>
> 2. My cgi.cfg looks like this:
>
>         main_config_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg
>         physical_html_path=/usr/local/nagios/share
>         url_html_path=/nagios
>         show_context_help=0
>         use_authentication=0
>         default_user_name=guest
>         authorized_for_system_information=*
>         authorized_for_configuration_information=*
>         authorized_for_system_commands=*
>         authorized_for_all_services=*
>         authorized_for_all_hosts=*
>         authorized_for_all_service_commands=*
>
> 3. My httpd Include file for nagios (/etc/httpd/conf.d/nagios.conf)
> looks like this:
>
>         ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin/ /usr/local/nagios/lib/cgi/
>         <Directory /usr/local/nagios/lib/cgi/>
>            Options ExecCGI
>            order deny,allow
>            deny from all
>            allow from all
>         </Directory>
>
>         Alias /nagios/ /usr/local/nagios/share/
>         <Directory /usr/local/nagios/share/>
>            Options None
>           order deny,allow
>            deny from all
>            allow from all
>         </Directory>
>
> 4. The web page shows me logged in as 'guest'.

Which means that you haven't logged into HTTP. You are showing up as the
unauthenticated default user.

Try changing '*' to 'guest'

I don't know for sure that it will work but I read:

# SYSTEM/PROCESS INFORMATION ACCESS
# This option is a comma-delimited list of all usernames that
# have access to viewing the Nagios process information as
# provided by the Extended Information CGI (extinfo.cgi).  By
# default, *no one* has access to this unless you choose to
# not use authorization.  You may use an asterisk (*) to
# authorize any user who has authenticated to the web server.

Since guest has not authenticated, accrding to the comments it should be
denied.

--
Karl