Odd Problem with 'SOFT' up alert

Steven E. Petty spetty at iConnect-corp.com
Tue Sep 16 17:42:59 CEST 2003

  I had an odd problem that occurred after restarting a system that lead
to a 'SOFT' up alert being logged.  Apparently it was on the second
retry that it managed to pass the host check.  The problem is that
several of the reports ignore 'SOFT' events, and there was never a
'HARD' event following that to indicate the host came up for those
reports.  This makes the availability report continue to believe that
the host is down.

  Obviously there are several approaches to correcting this behavior,
but I'm not sure I'm familiar enough with the overall system to decide
which would be the correct approach.

  Should all 'UP' events be 'HARD'? (IE. Is a 'SOFT' 'UP' even valid?
Maybe for flap detection or something?)
  Should nagios follow up a 'SOFT' 'UP' event with a definitive 'HARD'
'UP' event? (IE. Firmly schedule a follow up host check on the 'SOFT'
'UP' event)
  Should the report(s) be modified to treat 'SOFT' 'UP' events as 'HARD'
'UP' events?

  Steve