CGI permissions make me mad also! HELP!!!!

Rick_Blair at fws.gov Rick_Blair at fws.gov
Fri Sep 12 17:20:15 CEST 2003

When I try to access the CGI from the link on the nagios web page I am
getting the error:

                                        It appears as though you do not
have permission to view information for any of the hosts you requested...
If you believe this is an error, check the HTTP server authentication
requirements for accessing this CGI
and check the authorization options in your CGI configuration file.

I have been running nagios 1.0 for 5 months on Red Hat 7.3.  I built rpms
from the tar balls.

Everything was working fine.........       Then I upgraded to nagios 1.1,
again building the rpms from the tar balls.

Now I get the    "It appears as though you do not have permission to view
information for any of the hosts you requested... "

Then I down-graded back to nagios 1.0 and I still get the above error!
Even though I am using the same configs from the server that operated for 5 months without any problem!

I then went to my lab where I now realize I should have started.

I installed nagios 1.0 on one server and 1.1 on another and moved over all
of my configs.     Same results!!!

Here are the possibe problems I have investigate:

1.  .htaccess works on the main web page so I have to assume it also works
for the CGI directory since I see no error messages for httpd.  I have had
our web developer look at my Apache configs to make sure I am not crazy!!
He says my Apache configs are fine.

2.  If I run the CGI scripts from the command line using my username,  they generate html source that can be loaded into a browser and successfully viewed with all the ouput and no error.   So I assume that my cgi.cfg file, which I haven't touched!  is still correct.

3. I have toyed around with the permisions for the directory which
contains the nagios.cmd file.  I have followed the on line documentation
step by step in this regaurd and I still get the same results.

4. The only conclusion I can come to is a file permission somewhere.  I
have made all of my CGIs 755 and everything is owned by nagios:apache.  In
my lab environment I have experimented with every possible combination of
permissions, turning off authentication, using the nagiocmd group with
apache and nagios as members as suggested by the documentation etc. etc.
etc. etc..

Meanwhile nagios is running and collecting its data though I can not access it via CGI.

Help, Help Help!!!!!!!!

Rick Blair
Network Engineer
USFW