Nagios Newbie: error "no lock file found"

Steve OBrien sobrien at ci.bend.or.us
Thu Sep 11 19:18:27 CEST 2003

Kind of a bogus error message.  In my experience this means there is an
error in your config file.  run nagios -v -c /path/to/nagios.cfg to see
where the errors are.

"Jeff Saucier" <jeff.saucier at dolanmedia.com>
Sent by: nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net
09/11/2003 10:09 AM

"'Nagios'" <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>
cc

Subject
[Nagios-users] Nagios Newbie: error "no lock file found"

Not sure what I did.  No problems initially after installing Nagios.  Now,
when I start / stop / reload using /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nagios.sh  I get
message ?No lock file found in /var/spool/nagios/nagios.lock?.  I stop
Nagios using /usr/local/etc/rc.d/nagios/nagios.sh stop and still see
Nagios process running:
nagios    1674  0.0  0.3  2316 1768  ??  Ss   11:57AM   0:00.03
/usr/local/bin/
I kill nagios? process.  Thinking the lock file needs to exist, I create
one:  touch /var/spool/nagios/nagios.lock
I start Nagios: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/Nagios.sh start and get the following:
Starting network monitor: nagios
ps: option requires an argument -- p
usage: ps [-aChjlmrSTuvwx] [-O|o fmt] [-p pid] [-t tty] [-U user]
          [-M core] [-N system]
       ps [-L]
I see the Nagios process and can view the web pages fine.
I read nagios.lock is the location Nagios stores the process id.  Not sure
how that impacts Nagios.
Any ideas?
Thanks.
Jeff Saucier