Is there a way to delay UP;HARD checks?

Mike McClure mmcclure at pneservices.com
Wed Sep 10 18:02:58 CEST 2003

> In a different service monitoring solution I used there was a feature
> that allowed me to delay the UP Notifications until x number of retries
> were successful.
>
> It appears that Nagios notifies after the first successful host /service
> retry.  Is there a way to delay the notification until after 5
> sequential retries?

Actually, that's not true.  If you have flap detection enabled, it may not notify on
the first successful retry, depending on the history.

It sounds like your other solution's feature was a sort of "fixed" flap detection
that  just assumed that everything was flapping.  The Nagios flap detection
algorithm is much more sophisticated.

Take a look at the docs on flap detection.

--
Mike McClure, CCIE # 5125, CISSP # 30232
PNE Services, Inc. -  http://www.pneservices.com