check_mailq changes for exim?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Fri Sep 5 23:54:17 CEST 2003

    >> Before I exercise my feeble Perl skills, does anyone have mods for
    >> the check_mailq plugin which will check exim's mail queue?

    Cal> I actually wrote one, in bash, got completely finished with it and
    Cal> began testing before I remembered that you have to be an root to
    Cal> execute exim -bp? I'm not really keen on making nagios an admin for
    Cal> my mail server so I'm currently in 'thinking' mode on this one.

    Cal> I'm open to suggestions though.

I did a little reading of the exim spec.txt file today and saw that there's
an option (queue_list_requires_admin) which, when set false, allows mere
mortals to list the mail queue.  I'm not an exim user, just trying to
monitor a system that runs it, so take this suggestion with a grain of
salt.  I doubt there'd be a huge security hole opened up as a result, but
the restriction is probably there for a reason.

Skip