Can I have my NagMIN cake and eat it too?

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Sep 2 22:46:57 CEST 2003

My boss asked me to install a web-based admin interface for Nagios (said he
required it to adopt Nagios as a replacement for our homegrown monitor).
After a little fussing around I settled on NagMIN.  Now NagMIN seems to be a
very well-done piece of software, but editing a Nagios configuration through
the web one record at a time is a pain.  If I have to add a new machine with
several services I wind up with a cycle of a half dozen or so
through-the-web edits before I can reasonably think about clicking "Verify".
In my mind doing this with a text editor is just a lot more efficient
time-wise.

So, with Nagios and NagMIN in place, I'd like to be able to also edit the
config files directly, then reload them into NagMIN's MySQL tables.  (I'm
probably the only person here who will do it this way for the forseeable
future.)  This operation is already part of the setup process.  I was hoping
someone had abstracted/adapted that bit of functionality into a standalone
script which can be used to simply feed config files into NagMIN's database.

Thx,

--
Skip Montanaro
Got gigs? http://www.musi-cal.com/