could not open command file for update

Shirley shirley at origamipartners.com
Thu Oct 30 08:42:43 CET 2003

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003, Marc Powell wrote:
> What are the permissions on nagios.cmd itself? Is your web server user
> allowed to write to the file, not just the directory?

prw-rw----    1 nagios   nagios          0 Oct 30 02:06 nagios.cmd

webserver runs as nobody. . . once things started 'breaking' i followed
the docs, creating a nagiocmd group and making users nagios and nobody
part of that group, but i guess it was still creating the actual cmd file
with the user/group that i specified during compile time (nagios/nagios).
so i added nobody to nagios group and changed directory ownership back to
nagios.nagios

now the webserver has access to the file and external commands work again.
the fact that it stopped working w/o (as far as i could remember) having
explicitly changed permissions anywhere confused me, still not sure how or
when things changed..thanks very much for your help, it's exactly what i
needed pointed out to me