beginners problem in template based service definition

Geiger Andreas andreas.geiger at tiwag.at
Wed Oct 29 15:38:26 CET 2003

Hi list,

Using nagios 1.0 - Cannot upgrade to 1.1!
I have set up a general ping service definition and want to use it for all hosts without writing this service definition for every host or hostgroup again.
So i use a list of ALL defined hostgroups via the hostgroup_name directive instead of the
host_name directive within the ping service definition.

My problem is that the service definition requires an option for the contact_groups directive. I didn't pass this dirctive to the service definition because I think the
contact group is defined via the hostgroup definition.
This works and so I was able to use one service definition and send notifications to
different contacts relating to the hostgroup.
But everytime when i reload the configuration i get many warning message:

Warning: Service 'PING' on host 'xxx' has no default contact group(s) defined!

For every host assigned to the ping service.

Is there a possibility to turn off these warning messages,
because the fill up my logs?

Do I have to specifie the ping service for every hostgroup to get around this problem?

Thanks!

Andreas Geiger

mail	 <mailto:andreas.geiger at tiwag.at>