Cisco switch and routers

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Thu Oct 23 17:04:29 CEST 2003

On my Cisco IOS gear I'm checking PING, BGP State, CPU Utilization, Free
Memory, as well as looking for interfaces that are administratively up
but operationally down.

The plugins used are: check_ping, check_bgpstate.pl (from the contrib
directory), check_snmp (CPU & MEM), and check_ifstatus.

Each of these plugins (with the exception of BGP State) can be run on
IOS Routers & Switches. These should be found in your
'/path/to/nagios/libexec' directory can be run with '-h' or '--help' to
get help on how to use them.

I believe the bgpstate plugin my have it's own README file, although
you'll only want to use this on your routers that are running the BGP
routing protocol, if any.

On my CatOS switches I just run a PING check. I could setup some SNMP
checks I suppose, I just haven't gotten around to this yet.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)