Question on "First Assumed State"

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Wed Oct 22 16:15:14 CEST 2003

Yes, that's one use for it. Another would be if there was no status
information in the log file for the host or service you are reporting on
at the start of your time period (or within your backtracked archives
number).

For example, you have hostA which last changed state 2 weeks ago. You
have Nagios configured for daily log rotation. If you were to run a
report for the last 24 hours with 4 backtracked archives, Nagios is not
going to see any state changes in the current log or the last 4 days
logs to know what state the host is in so it will be Undetermined due to
insufficient data. You could either set the First Assumed state to be OK
or CRITICAL or whatever you thought it was at the start of your
reporting period _or_ you could increase the number of backtracked
archives to search for the last logged state information for that host
(in the example above you'd probably want to set it to >14). Another
option is to set Nagios to Log Initial States and then restart Nagios
daily. Then you'll have a daily checkpoint of all host and service
states.

--
Marc