monitor w/o agent

David Olbersen DOlbersen at stbernard.com
Fri Oct 17 15:07:26 CEST 2003

Asif Iqbal wrote:

> Thats exactly how I am planning to do. However since I have 200 machines with
> in avg 10 services per machines , I am trying to get a combo script that will
> run it once to check all 10 services per machine to save some traffic.

I have a few less machines, but am very lazy :)
I have the Nagios machine NFS exporting the directory with the SSH public/private keys.

As far as your script is concerned, if you're machines are all the same architecture (e.g. FreeBSD 4.x) then you could also try exporting the directory the modules are in. At that point mounting both the keys & the modules on the remote machine becomes simple and you can create a host group to monitor services.

I think it's *very* important to limit these SSH keys to only executing 1 command on the client machines. For example, making a key called dsa-check-disk which is limited to only running a check_disk module (or equivalent). You can check the sshd man page for information on that.

--
David Olbersen
iGuard Engineer