distributed monitoring and passive host checks?

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 16 17:55:22 CEST 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Wolfgang Fellner wrote:

> hi list,
>
> i have running distributed monitoring setup since some weeks. all works
> good. the only problem i have is the host-state:
> because of security-reasons i have no way to connect to the hosts from
> the central server. trought this the central server doesn't recognize if
> a host is down. and so the nagios-instance on the central-server sends
> critical-notifications for all services of the down host.
> does anybody know a solution for this problem?

Why not use passive checks?  I have a similar problem where my nagios box
is in the DMZ and therefore not allowed to open connections to the private
LAN.  So, I installed a second Nagios box, added nsca there, and send the
results from the LAN-->DMZ which is permitted under our security policy.

I set all the host checks on the DMZ nagios box to check_dummy and use the
check_freshness setting to make sure the passive results show up on the
DMZ nagios instance at least once an hour.

Works like a charm.

See in general Nagios documentation on Passive Service Checks and
Distributed Monitoring.

Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com