expanation of Ethan's examples for snmptrapd

Drew Cullis drew.cullis at gwl.com
Wed Oct 15 23:47:46 CEST 2003

Hello;
 I'm in the process of getting snmp working on my RH 7.3 box, using
Nagios 1.0 & plugins 1.3.1 and monitoring SAN devices. Can anyone
explain the syntax for Ethan's examples for his snmptrapd.conf file and
handle-arcserve-trap script? Some of it is obvious, but what I don't
understand are these parts;
In the snmptrapd.conf file
  ::arcServetrap9
  the 9 at the end
In the handle-arcserve-trap file
        11)

 # Tape format failures
traphandle
ARCserve-Alarm-MIB::arcServetrap9/usr/local/nagios/libexec/eventhandlers/handle-arcserve-trap
9

# failed to format tape - critical
        11)
            output="Critical: Failed to format tape"
            state=2
            ;;

 Has anyone gotten this type of example to work in their environment? My
understanding is the traphandle gets its info from the ARCserve-Alarm
MIB, in this example trap 9, then runs the arcserve-trap script,
inserting trap 9 ????. Is there any correlation between the trap #  and
the 11 (or any of these numbers) in the other script? Hopefully this
post is somewhat clear & understandable. Any help would be appreciated.

--

Drew Cullis
ITS UNIX Sys Admin
Phone: 303-737-6506   Email: drew.cullis at gwl.com