Service nagios start vs. nagios -d

Goran Almvik goran.almvik at intentia.se
Wed Oct 15 08:50:59 CEST 2003

Hi all,

Running Nagios 1.0 on a RedHat 8 box. After having created a plugin in
Java and got it rocking I tried to move it to our live environment but
immediately got a "plugin not found" (error 127). After a lot of
investigation I found out that i depends on how nagios is started! Can
anybody explain the difference between starting nagios with "service
nagios start" and "/usr/local/nagios/bin/nagios -d
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nagios.cfg"? Starting it as a service makes it not
find the plugin but when running as deamon everything works fine. What's
the difference and why?! User/group: nagios/nagcmd

/Göran A