Socket timeout after 10 seconds from tcp check

Raymond Page pagerc at ufl.edu
Mon Oct 13 22:45:46 CEST 2003

I'm using Nagios to monitor a mail system and I frequently get what
seems to be false positives from nagios whenever a tcp connect to the
pop server occurs.  The error message I get is "Socket timeout after
10 seconds".  I'm curious if this might be a problem with the machine
nagios is running on, or it is truly a problem with the pop server
not responding.  If it helps, I'm also checking IMAP on the same
machines, and those rarely give me any notices to socket timeouts and
they are accurate when they do occur.  So there is a significant
discrepancy between error messages from the pop and imap services
even though they exist on the same machines.  This isn't a single
machine but a cluster I'm checking, and it happens to be a problem
that all of the pop checks have not just one machine.

I'm running Nagios under Gentoo Linux on a Pentium 3 866Mhz.

I have a 5 second interval, running a normal check interval of 30
seconds, and a retry check interval of 20 seconds.  Max retry
attempts of 6.

If anyone has an idea where or why I'd be getting false positives in
this situation, I'd really appreciate anything to go off of.

--
Raymond Page