Questions on migrating to DistributedEnvironment on Nag 1.1

Hochberg, Keith Keith.Hochberg at mtvi.com
Mon Oct 13 21:10:39 CEST 2003

James,

No problem...

The statement regarding host checks is at the end of
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/distributed.html

"Performing Host Checks - At this point you know how to obtain service
check results passivly from distributed servers. This means that the
central server is not actively checking services on its own. But what
about host checks? You still need to do them, so how?  Since host checks
usually compromise a small part of monitoring activity (they aren't done
unless absolutely necessary), I'd recommend that you perform host checks
actively from the central server. That means that you define host checks
on the central server the same way that you do on the distributed
servers (and the same way you would in a normal, non-distributed setup).
There are ways to obtain host checks passively, but implementing them is
beyond the scope of what I care to write about at this time. :-)"

As for the config files my sympathies for being in a primarily windows
shop :)  I hear NagMin works quite well but I'm not sure if anyone has
used it in a distributed monitoring environment or if it can be
customized to be used in one.  Perhaps someone else has done this?

Regards,

Keith