Non-OK State Change Notifications

Judd Sproba sproba at llnl.gov
Thu Oct 9 18:42:38 CEST 2003

When Nagios switches from one Non-OK state to another (WARN to CRIT) - I can see the alert, but I don't get notified.
I do get notified on the initial HARD state switch (from OK to WARN) and on the recovery, but I'm not getting notified when it goes from WARN to CRIT and back to WARN (all the while in a Non-OK state).

One suggestion was to tweak with the notification_interval - but I don't want continuous notifications. All I want is to get notified once when these state changes occur.
I was thinking that the reason behind this could be that Nagios doesn't consider the move from WARN to CRIT as a HARD state change, but the docs say...

Hard State Changes

Before I discuss what happens when a host or service is in a hard state, you need to know about hard state changes. Hard state changes occur when a service or host...

  a.. changes from a hard OK state to a hard non-OK state
  b.. changes from a hard non-OK state to a hard OK-state
  c.. changes from a hard non-OK state of some kind to a hard non-OK state of another kind (i.e. from a hard WARNING state to a hard UNKNOWN state)

My notification settings are:

        notification_interval           0
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r