check_ifstatus plugin help

Starr, Neal (CCI-Wichita) Neal.Starr at cox.com
Tue Oct 7 01:04:46 CEST 2003

I have been taking a look at using the check_ifstatus plugin for Nagios against several hosts in my network.  I'm currently running Nagios 1.1 on a Solaris 9 platform (SunFire 280R).

The first problem I encountered is on with a couple of CMTS devices in my network, I get the following error message if I try using version 2c of SNMP with the plugin:

CRITICAL: Message size exceeded buffer maxMsgSize for 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2  with snmp version 2

Has anyone seen this before, and if so how can I correct?  Here is an example of the kind of data I believe is causing the problem:

.1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.2.10092546 = STRING: HFC Downstream: Broadcom BCM3033 on chassis 1, slot 6, port 2

I only get this warning when using SNMP v2c with the CMTSs in my network.  Other devices seem to have much shorter strings.  The only way I can avoid getting this message with these devices is to use SNMP v1 instead, and then I run into the problem below.

Now, if the plugin does not find any down interfaces, everything works just fine.  However, if there is one or more down interfaces, when the plugin returns its data I get messages of the following for each down interface that was seen:

Use of uninitialized value in sprintf at ./check_ifstatus line 194.
Use of uninitialized value in sprintf at ./check_ifstatus line 194.
CRITICAL: host '172.26.49.100', interfaces up: 11, down: 2, dormant: 0<BR>fbus:3: down -> <BR>fbus:4: down -> <BR>

When looking at the source for the plugin, it appears to be in here:

$ifmessage .= sprintf("%s: down -> %s<BR>",
                                 $ifStatus{$key}{$snmpIfDescr},
                                                                 $ifStatus{$key}{$snmpIfName});

Which appears in a for structure for looping through each of the down interfaces and printing a message about them.  My guess is that one or the other or both of the variables for storing ifDescr and ifName are coming back empty.  Is there a way to find out why?  When I walk those MIBs manually using Net-SNMP I'm not seeing a problem.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Neal Starr