Nagios on 64bit Linux

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Mon Oct 6 19:18:00 CEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-10-06 at 06:12, Webster, Stuart SITI-ITDIUR wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a quick question. Does anyone know if Nagios will run ok on 64
> bit Linux on an Itanium2, im hearing it might not run well on a 64 bit
> machine.
>
> Thanks
>
> Stuart Webster

My question is, why would you want to?  Itaniums are expensive boxes.
Nagios performs fine for us on a pentium 3 monitoring about 300 hosts.
If you actually need more hosts than a 32 bit system can handle, you
could easily buy multiple 32 bit systems, and then have the added
benefit of having one nagios host check up on the other, and vice
versa.  I saw a 32 bit system for $127.99 today.  I'd save the itanium
for compute-bound tasks, and even then, it might be better to go AMD.

--
Dan Stromberg DCS/NACS/UCI <strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu>