different views for the webinterface

Mike McClure mmcclure at pneservices.com
Mon Oct 6 05:10:34 CEST 2003

> Hello there.

Howdy.

> I am currently working on a system for different view to the webinterace.
>
> To the situation:
>
> We have many interal machines, monitored by nagios. Works very well. Thanks
> for the nice piece of Software. No, we want to offer monitoring as a service
> to our "customers". BUT, they are not allowed to view our internal machines,
> because of ... uhm ... *cough* ... they are not allowed. ;)
>
> Email should be no problem here. Is there a easy way to manage that with the
> webinterface, without patching huge amounts of the original sources?

Yes.  If you configure your "customers" as contacts and contact groups, along with
CGI authentication and authorization, they can only view the hosts and services for
which they are configured.  This is already a feature of the CGI programs included
with Nagios.

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/1_0/cgiauth.html

> I thought of a wrapper script, which polls nagios and displays the results on
> after authentication. I would like to hear the thoughts of this list about
> this or any other method to manage this situation.

Again, this feature is already a part of the CGI programs.

--
Mike McClure, CCIE # 5125, CISSP # 30232
PNE Services, Inc. -  http://www.pneservices.com